The way you work together during times of stress, the way you react to situations, the way you show love to one another, the way you make decisions together, all become a model for your child.
Your child will understand how to develop relationships based on the model of how you and your partner interact together...
When parents aren't a team, your child will:
- starts playing one against another (mom says no, and then asks dad)
- has trouble understanding how to develop relationships
- struggles with stressful situations and will act out
- will seek attention in various ways including tantrums, misbehaving, etc...
The #LegendaryFather Map includes learning how to work together to create a strong bond with one another and create a team that your child will use as a model for successful relationships growing up.
This is done through learning about:
- the decisions that will need to be made in the first few years including how to pick a pediatrician, bedtime routines, etc.
- shared decision making
- supporting one another's decisions
- how to handle other people's "suggestions"
- balancing time with the baby and work schedules
- monetary decisions- what needs to be bought and when...
I have spent over two decades working with children and parents. One of the biggest challenges I have come across is helping parents get past their own fears, needs and story that is often shaping their children in a negative way.
You see, even though we become parents, we are still simply people trying to figure it all out. We don't always know the right decisions to make, or how to make them, so we tend to default to our own story and use the fears and desires we have created for ourselves and impose them on our children (HINT: This also happened with your parents, to you).
As a result, many of our habits and hang-ups become our children's - you see the cycle doesn't end unless we make conscious changes to ourselves which as a result effect our children.
When working with expecting parents I focus on three main factors:
- Grow and Support
By following this path, I am able to help others see the story they have created for themselves, and then new perspectives. In other words, how would your life look if we looked at it from a different angle? Once you are able to see the possibilities, we are then able to focus on how we can grow to get ourselves to where we want and need to be in life! The resulting outcome is more happiness, excitement and in many cases security, which then sets a new path for your child.